WANT TO BE THE FEARLESS LEADER OF THE FEDERATIONS’ DYNAMIC AND GROWING NEXTGEN DEPARTMENT?
Was that a yes? Detroit is home to the most exciting young Jewish adult resurgence in the country, and we’re looking for a Director who is ready to love this city and young adult engagement as much as we do, as well as lead a team of incredible professionals. If that’s you, then apply today!!
DIRECTOR, NEXTGEN DETROIT
The Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Detroit is a leader in young adult engagement, and NEXTGen Detroit is a model for Federations across North America. If you’re up for the challenge of developing and expanding young adult engagement in Detroit, we’re up for showing you why we’re so proud to call this community home.
The goal of NEXTGen Detroit is to be the hub of a young, vibrant, Jewish Detroit. Over the last four years, the Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Detroit has developed an innovative model of engagement that reversed a 30-year trend of young disengagement from the Jewish community. We’ve established a new role for Federation—from a purely philanthropic arm of the Jewish community to a catalyst and thought-leader in the engagement space. We’ve also connected the young adult community to the Jewish renaissance of Detroit, working closely with the business leaders and social entrepreneurs who are revitalizing the city of Detroit. Now, we are looking for a key leadership professional to take NEXTGen Detroit to the next level.
NEXTGen Detroit has received both national and international recognition, and the NEXTGen Detroit Director represents Federation at local, national and global gatherings.
PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
• Develop and oversee implementation of the overall NEXTGen Detroit operational and strategic plan, connecting NEXTGen Detroit constituents to the Detroit Jewish Community as well as the revitalization of Detroit.
• Develop and execute strategic plan for campaign, outreach, engagement, and leadership development of NEXTGen Detroit.
• Manage budget of over $750,000 and a team of young professionals
• Work closely with senior lay leadership including NEXTGen Detroit President and President-elect to further goals of the NEXTGen Department.
• Supervise Board development, leadership succession process, Campaign and Board communication, with a working Board of 50 young adults.
• Develop and execute fundraising models that maximize the number of NEXTGen Detroit donors contributing to the Federation's Annual Campaign.
• Develop relationships with potential donors and funders of NEXTGen Detroit initiatives and the Jewish Federation.
• Engage major donors, corporate sponsors and foundations to realize NEXTGen Detroit’s financial development goals.
• Serve on the Federation’s management team, which oversees operations and executes the strategic plan of the organization
• Attend Federation’s Officers’ and Board of Governors’ meetings.
• Conduct presentations to the broader community to communicate the NEXTGen Detroit strategy, further the Federation brand and make the case for change and increased funding.
• Plan and lead mission(s) that connect young donors with the Federation's overseas work and connect them back to Detroit.
• Understand and meet the needs of lay leaders, the NEXTGen Detroit community and the Detroit Jewish community.
• Strengthen and maintain relationships with key partner organizations in the Jewish Community and broader Detroit Community.
• Engage local business, philanthropic and entrepreneurial communities to promote NEXTGen initiatives and activities.
• Work collaboratively with other departments of the Federation.
REQUIREMENT SKILLS & ABILITIES
• Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred. Areas of discipline: Jewish communal professional, public policy, and management.
• Minimum of five years of experience in leadership or entrepreneurial roles in private or nonprofit sector
• Charismatic individual that will draw and engage young adults to join and participate in NEXTGen Detroit events and encourage their involvement in leadership roles.
• Futuristic thinker and executor that will continuously create the Next Level of achievement in the NEXTGen Detroit space and will lead the team to create awesome programming and outreach.
• Driven and determined leader that creates momentum and positive energy.
• Mirror the Federation’s values of: be a mensch, have integrity, be collaborative, community-minded, passionate, resourceful, accountable and take everything to the next level.
• Prior successes working in the NEXTGen/young adult sphere a plus.
• Experience working with operational and strategic plans, goal setting and hitting milestones.
• Fundraising experience a plus.
• Prior supervisory experience required.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and social media.
• Must possess strong written and oral communications skills.
• Familiarity with and understanding of the Detroit and/or National Jewish community is a plus.
• Work some evenings and weekends.