Medium size non-profit with a budget of $2-4M and a staff of twenty who is dedicated to excellence and aims to raise the awareness of our mission in the broader Detroit community, is searching for a talented Bookkeeper reporting to the Executive Director, who will be responsible for managing and maintaining the Accounting records.
Accounting Job Duties:
• Maintains a system to account for financial transactions by maintaining the chart of accounts; defines policies and procedures in accordance with generally accepted accounting practices.
• Maintains and balances subsidiary accounts by verifying, allocating, posting and reconciling entries/transactions.
• Maintains and balances general ledger by transferring subsidiary account summaries, preparing a trial balance and reconciling entries.
• Manages all accounts payable and receivable functions.
• Prepares financial reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing account information and trends.
• Responsible for payroll functions and for keeps abreast of all regulatory changes.
• Complies with federal, state, and local legal requirements by studying requirements; enforcing adherence to requirements; filing reports; advising management on needed actions.
• Prepares financial reporting materials for Board of Directors.
• Manages, tracks and reports on budget and expenses, monitors financial forecasting, and manages cash flow.
• Coordinates and prepares all audit activities.
• Reconciles admission desk.
• Works closely with Payroll provider to insure accurate records and changes.
• Gathers data to support benefit, commercial and liability insurance renewal.
• Works with internal Human Resource person to maintain medical and compensation files and all employee benefit programs.
Experience and Qualifications:
• Associate or Bachelor’s degree in Business, Management, Accounting or Finance.
• Three years prior experience in financial management and accounting, general ledger, audit, accounts payable/receivable, budget, reporting and payroll
• Excellent people skills, with experience collaborating in a multi-disciplinary, diverse, and dynamic team.
• Demonstrated resourcefulness in setting priorities, proposing new ways of creating efficiencies, and guiding investment in people and systems.
• Flexible, self-starter; highly detail-oriented.
• Demonstrates integrity, credibility, and a commitment to mission.
• Must maintain confidentiality at all times.
• Ability to work independently and make decisions in accordance with established policies and regulations.
• Familiarity with basic network (server) architecture and data backup procedures.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office, Outlook and General Ledger Software
• Prior experience with Blackbaud products a plus.